What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an effective and complete system of medical treatment that has been practiced for over 3,000 years. It promotes natural healing and can enhance recuperative power and immunity, support physical and emotional health and improve overall function and well-being. It is a safe, painless and effective way to treat a wide variety of medical problems.
How does acupuncture work?
At the center of this ancient medicine is the concept of Qi (pronounced “chee”) or life force energy that flows throughout the body – animating and protecting from illness, pain and disease. Qi flows through specific pathways in the body called meridians that are like rivers bringing life giving Qi to nourish every cell, organ, gland, tissue and muscle in the body.
Stress, lack of exercise, overwork, seasonal changes, physical and emotional trauma, poor diet, accidents and excessive activity are some of the many things that can impact the quality, quantity and balance of Qi in your body. Normally the body self corrects from minor imbalances but when the disruptions occur over a long period of time, are excessive or the body is in a weakened state, illness pain or disease can be the result.
What’s a treatment like?
During the initial visit, a complete health history is taken with time for you to fully understand the process and express all of your health concerns. The information gathered will be used to develop a comprehensive treatment plan to address your concerns.
With acupuncture we insert tiny sterile needles (about the size of a human hair) in specific points on the body; you then rest with the needles in place for about 30 minutes. Most people find the treatment very soothing & relaxing and feel refreshed afterwards.
Does acupuncture hurt?
No, it should not hurt. Upon insertion of the needle, you may experience a sensation similar to a mosquito bite that quickly disperses. Afterward there can be a warming, tingling, heavy or dull sensation where the needle has been inserted and your body will begin to relax.
Is acupuncture safe?
As long as it is performed by a competent practitioner, acupuncture is extremely safe. We use very fine highly polished sterile needles, which are disposed of after one use.
How many treatments will I need?
This is unique to the individual. Some people find immediate relief and others find incremental relief over time.
What are your hours?
We offer flexible hours to serve your needs. Weekdays and evenings.
What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept cash, checks, debit cards and all major credit cards.
Do you accept insurance?
Yes we accept insurance if your insurance covers acupuncture.
What sets your clinic apart from other health care practitioners?
- We love what we do and are devoted to top quality care for all of our patients.
- The “we” is me, Barrie, your licensed acupuncturist and clinic owner. I am always available to talk with you about your concerns; there are no gatekeepers to get through first.
- We take our time with you. Your first visit will be approximately 1 ½ hours so you can get to know me as a practitioner and I can get to know you and your concerns. Subsequent visits take approximately 1 hour so we have time to review where you are and what we need to accomplish in that treatment.
- Along with acupuncture, we offer many accessory techniques including infrared heat lamp therapy, Tuina (a type of Chinese medical massage), aromatherapy, cupping and more with your treatment.
- Your treatment is personally tailored to your needs and reflects your personal health dynamics.